National Landcare Programme
Molonglo Catchment Group receives generous funding support from the Australian Government's National Landcare Programme—Regional Investment Strategy. The fundng supports us in capacity building activities in our region:
- in collaboration with community, landcare and farming system groups, lead regional NRM planning and prioritisation of NRM activities to support environmental protection and sustainable agricultural practices
- deliver nationally important outcomes that assist Australia to meet its national and international obligations
- broker partnerships, collaborate with networks and support local stakeholders in delivery of regional NRM activities
- build local community and industry engagement, skills and capacity in NRM and sustainable agriculture
- support Indigenous participation in delivering NRM outcomes
- report NRM outcomes at a regional level and contribute to programme reporting at the national level
The Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate of the ACT Government is the Regional NRM organisation that administers Landcare funding for Molonglo Catchment Group.
Waterwatch is part of a community water quality monitoring program that brings people together from all parts of the community to raise awareness, educate, monitor, restore and protect our precious waterways. Waterwatch involves local community, catchment groups, Landcare, as well as residents, schools, utilities and landowners to regularly monitor the water quality of local creeks, wetlands, lake, rivers and stormwater drains.
The ACT Healthy Waterways Project funds Waterwatch coordination and activities undertaken by Molonglo Catchment Group.
Across the Upper Murrumbidgee River Catchment, over 200 Waterwatch volunteers monitor water quality every month at 243 sites, covering a total area of more than 11,400 square kilometres. The data they collect provides an early warning system for aquatic ecosystem health issues and is published in the annual Catchment Health Indicator Program (CHIP) report.